Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Socks done and begun...

Greetings and Dear Laura:

I really enjoyed reading what you've been up to. That is so cool that you were designing seamless booties at the same time that Knitting Guy did! (And coming from a trucking family, I enjoy that there is a knitting trucker! Hmm, wonder if I could get my brother to learn to knit?)

Your
coin purse is so cool! I know what you mean about having loose change in the bottom of your backpack. It's so much handier to have a place to put your change, and then in turn have access to it when you need it. I like the loop - I'd hook it someplace in my purse so I could actually find it when I have a hand full of change!

I'm intrigued by the "Must Have Cardigan" pattern that you're looking at. My mom had a cotton sweater that looked similar to that. When it finally fell apart, she replaced it with an acrylic one that she paid very little for. It lasted a very little time. Recently I drove her to visit with some of her friends, and discovered that now for a sweater she is using a polyester sweatshirt/cardigan with snaps. She has had it for a long time and it is dingy and pill-y. So, I have decided that I have to knit her a sweater. I measured her up, and got some yarn and now I'm looking at patterns. (I know you shouldn't order the yarn until you have a pattern, but I knew I wanted Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in white, so I ordered 7 skeins, which should be enough for a medium women's sweater. I hope.)

The "Must Have Cardigan" looks like something she would choose. However, she is really petite, especially her shoulders, and a bulky sweater just seems to overwhelm her. I like the body structure of the
Summer Braids Cardigan (I made one for my sil) but I think that either set-in or raglan sleeves would be more flattering on her. So I'm thinking of using a basic raglan pattern built using my "Handy Book of Sweater Patterns" and using the body ribs and cables of the Summer Braids.

What do you think? Maker her a sweater that she would choose, or one I think she'd look better in?? Knit for her or me? ;)

I did finish the Alizerine socks over the weekend. I had to quickly pick something else for mindless knitting, and since these where child's socks, I still had yarn left. My niece was visiting, so I traced the feet of her 2-year-old daughter, and just kept knitting with the same yarn. I have one sock done, and I'm almost to the heel of the second. Toddler socks go fast!!
IMG_4762.JPGIMG_4763.JPG



And for tomorrow - amazing shawl knitting!! Stay tuned to local stations.....

Keep knitting!

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

No comments: