Monday, September 03, 2007

Let it snow!

Greetings and Dear Laura:

This year I shared a garden with one of my brothers and his wife. I didn't have any home-canned tomatoes last year, and I really missed them. They said that if I'd help with the garden, we could plant enough to share. We had a big crop of cucumbers, and a few green peppers. Most of the beans died - we are keeping all the rest for seeds. These are our "family heritage beans." And we have tomatoes! Oh my!

The first tomatoes arrived just as I was getting back from Louisville and my dad's surgery. I did can 12 pints that weekend, with help from the Rebellious Pastor's Wife, but I determined that my share from that would be for my mom. I just couldn't get to the next batch at all, so RPW canned them and we got a few quarts from that. So my goal for this weekend was 24 pints of tomatoes and 12 pints of salsa.

Friday we picked (3) 5-gallon buckets of tomatoes for me, and I didn't get to them until Sunday. That's all I did all afternoon and evening - mom helped - and I finished up mixing and canning the salsa this morning.

Behold!

IMG_3709.JPG

30 pints of tomatoes (29 sealed) and 15 pints of salsa!!

I've got canned tomatoes and frozen corn, peaches and strawberries. Plenty of wool. I'm ready for winter - bring it on!!

Keep knitting!

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

No comments: