Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Slow and Steady

Greetings, and Dear Cynthia,

When it comes to the finishing work on Dale of Norway sweaters, I am a slow poke. After about two hours of working on Sapporo yesterday, I have ONE sleeve sewn into place. I'm rather picky about how I do my finishing work, so it takes me a really long time. I once heard a knitter say to rip out any part of a seam which you might not quite like, rather than continuing on, because it will continue to bug you. Take it out immediately when you decide it isn't quite right! This is something I adhere to when I'm doing finishing work...and it makes me very slow at it...

In any case, for those of you who lived through the finishing work of Hardangervidda with me last December, this is just another verse of the same tune, so I won't get into too many details here, though please feel free to ask any questions if you have them!

Here is a look at the inside of the sweater, having the facing sewn down over the raw edges of the cut armhole:
Here are the shoulder and sleeve seems shown from the "right side" of the sweater:Hopefully I'll have more progress to show after today! I tried the sweater on in its current state, and it really, really needs the other sleeve...

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

5 comments:

Sus said...

The Sapporo is going to be truly gorgeous! I'm so very impressed. Good luck with the finishing -- I hope it goes smoothly and you don't have to rip back very often. :)

Anonymous said...

These are sweaters for life, so it is worth taking the time to finish it to your personal satisfaction. (Note I didn't say perfectly...) It looks great.

Marie N. said...

I imagine it feels a little lopsided with only one sleeve in place! Your work is truly lovely.

Molly Bee said...

What wonderful work! Gorgous sweater and great finishing!

Cindy G said...

Beautiful work! We missed you at Last Saturday Knitting.