Monday, August 07, 2006

Almost......

Dear Laura:

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful trip. I've heard that Door County is a wonderful place.

Well, I don't have pictures either. Frankly, my shawl doesn't look like much other than a pile of yarn. You know the stage, you've been there...... I did make good progress over the weekend, I think around 8 rows. Let's see, that works out to 800 stitches per row times 8 rows = 6400 stitches! I did a pattern row at lunch today and 2 plain rows tonight and discovered that a row is about 45 minutes of knitting.

Also to report is that I finished the first ball of yarn - 600 yards!! I definitely needed the 2nd ball, but there is no way that I would have needed the third, so it looks like your math is holding up!

I've done more math - it's difficult to really measure the current diameter while it's all bunched up on the circular needle. I've used the numbers from the pattern, and I've determined that if I do 9 more rows, I should be at 46" blocked. The next ending place would be about 18 rows hence, and I don't think I reasonably have time for that. So, 9 more rows, then a crochet edging - my goal is to be blocking by the weekend. That's doable, I think. YAY!!

I'm anxious to move on to something else, but I have to say that if I didn't need to have it done in the next week or two, I'd be doing other things to break the monotony and I'd happily finish the full 68" that the pattern calls for. In fact, I've thought about pulling a lifeline of the thread through and working on it again after the baptism. I could go as far as the yarn would take me, and then it would be large enough to be a shawl to be worn in 20 years or so for a wedding...;)

Besides the knitting, I spent the weekend at home and got things done. I have to say, I love getting to Sunday night and knowing that I have lunches for the week done, the kitchen clean, and laundry done (which includes folded and put away - I know, I know, I never do that...but I like it!) Yesterday was a beautiful day, so I bleached all the sheets, towels and washcloths and hung them on the line. (My inner city girl and inner country girl are often conflicted, but I do love my clothesline!!) There is nothing as wonderful as climbing into a bed newly made with sheets from the line!

Also, I've "joined" Sandy in an effort to "kick the can" and give up diet coke. I've been needing a final push for that...so, I had my last one this morning. I'm officially "off the juice!"

Have a great trip....and keep knitting!!

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

You can do it Cynthia!!! Almost done!

But I can't believe you are kicking the can.... I <3 my diet coke!