Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Always a change of plans....

I got a call on Tuesday that the materials for my Olympic short program wouldn't be ready until today. I picked it up afer work and I was able to cast on. I'm gonna give it a shot, but it's gonna be iffy. Here's a picture of the first three rows of corrugated ribbing.

This is the Stained-Glass Hat from Green Mountain Spinnery. I'm anxious to see the progress.






I'd like your advice about class that I'm teaching this Saturday. All but one of the students will be knitting continental for the first time. The hat pattern has several variations to start out with. You can do a single color "rolled brim" before you start the color work OR you can start with a two-color corrugated rib. I'm concerned that joining and knitting the first row in two colors may be just a little nerve-wracking. Plus if we do the rolled brim, I don't have to teach Continental purling!! And I could have them knit the first rows of stockinette Continental, which would give them some practice. You were in their shoes at one point...which do you advise??

I do have a serious need to have a completed project done soon, so I dedicated my last two lunch hours to finishing my red/white striped scarf. (Oh, I have to interject this - I thought of it when I type "striping." I recently saw a calendar of classes that included both socks & mittens using "self-stripping" yarn!!) Anyway, it is off the needles and only needs to be blocked and fringe added.




Well, off to bed - wish I could figure out how to knit AND sleep....

Keep knitting!

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

1 comment:

YarnThrower said...

Just a quick note -- no time right now for a full post... When I first learned (at Cass Street Depot), they pushed us right into corrugated ribbing, and we didn't have to "purl" continental, because we "knit" the stitches with the yarn in the left hand and did the "purl" stitches with the yarn in the right hand. (The tricky part was making sure that the yarns were either in back of the work or in front of the work when they were supposed to be, so that we didn't end up with a weird strand of yarn across the front at random places...) I think the corrugated ribbing is an awesome technique. I highly recommend the "throw them in at the deep end" approach, though you won't have time for anything but the ribbing on the first class day if you do this...but, it changed me forever, giving me enough practice that I became comfortable with the technique. The class I took was several weeks.... Anyway, any chance you could teach both corrugated & rolled, to accomodate anybody who might not be up to the additional challenge? Have fun! When I learned how to knit with two colors like this, the world of knitting really opened up to me, and I hadn't even been aware that it was closed before....